Pride and Pressure

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single person in possession of a sound mind must be in search of this site. Enjoy your stay here, gentle reader. (And do please be gentle, reader, because if you break it, you buy it.)

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Got Culture??

I'm determined not to let this blog fall into dejected and irritated fits as the last one was wont to do. Mainly because that's gotta be boring for my gentle readers, but also because it only makes me wallow in irritation.

So in that spirit, I'm going to tell you all about a movie I watched a few days ago. I got Suspicion from Netflix. It's a great Hitchcock film starring Cary Grant and Joan Fontaine. I believe it's the first of four Cary Grant and Alfred Hitchcock movies, the last being North by Northwest. Without spoiling too much of the plot (I hope), it's about a rich, sheltered woman who falls in love with a penniless playboy. She begins to distrust him as bodies and lies start to pile up.

The original end to this movie (which tallies with the end of the book it was based on) has Cary Grant posting a letter of his wife's which names him as his wife's killer just after he's poisoned her with a glass of milk. Pressure was put on Hitchcock to change the ending because no one wanted to see Cary Grant, god of the silver screen, as a homicidal cad. The ending was changed to a scene which calls into question all of the evidence against Cary Grant's character. It also implies that he might be learning to grow up.

When I first heard about this movie, I thought it was terrible that they had changed the ending because of Cary Grant's image. Having seen the movie, I now think it's a more interesting ending. It's a good plot twist at the end to find out that really the wife was the "bad guy" for suspecting her husband of murder when he was an ok guy. It also pulls the watcher down along with the wife because they've been thinking the same thing all along.

Now that I've written a long and boring entry on a movie most of you probably aren't interested in, what do you think? Please leave comments. I like comments.

1 Comments:

At 11:21 PM, Blogger Chrissy said...

I'm confused.

So in the original ending, he didkill his wife and in the rewrite, she was just imagining it? Hmm, now I know what'll do with my weekend if I decide to postpone furniture shopping some more and not see my da-da in the ATL.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home