Pride and Pressure

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single person in possession of a sound mind must be in search of this site. Enjoy your stay here, gentle reader. (And do please be gentle, reader, because if you break it, you buy it.)

Saturday, May 13, 2006

World Horror Con 2006

So I went to World Horror Con. Scratch that, I went to the Bizarro Books World Horror Con After-Party. I know you all feel special just knowing me, but try to take the excitement down a notch.

I went with Nicole from the Chris Moore board. She's going to have her book published by a publishing house that published Bizarro Books (I did not previously know that this was a genre. You learn something every day). So she wanted to meet her editors, et al while they were in the Northern California area (as opposed to Seattle). I just went because, well, now I can say I was at World Horror Con. I'm never going to pay to go to a horror or sci-fi convention so now I've had the experience without the cost. Always a plus.

It was kind of a trip. I'm rarely in the coolest 10% of people in a room. Oddly, it felt about like being in the least cool 10% of the room. I totally did not fit in there. Still everyone was super nice, and they gave me free beer. Which was home-brewed and each kind of beer was one of the labels that Bizarro Books publish under. For example, the label Nicole is being published by was an Amber Ale. I drank that, and then gave Nicole the bottle (She did ask for it. I didn't make her take it). Her editor told her that maybe one day, she could have the cover of her book on a bottle of Afterbirth Beer. Nicole was not that excited by that. I don't blame her.

All in all, a fun evening. I met someone from a book store (Note the trouble I went to to avoid any google-able names. I've learned a lesson. Hopefully, it was my lesson and not someone else's) who was on Chris Moore's blog. When I misunderstood this to mean that she posted on the message board, I was quickly corrected. She was actually in the blog. Not like in the computer server that stores the blog, like Chris mentioned her in the blog. I know I'm a fan geek, but I don't cream myself every time that Chris responds to a post of mine. Hell, he obliquely mentioned me in a news article, and I'm not sitting around building a shrine to my brush with greatness. He's just a guy. Note: This statement no longer applies if he ever, in the course of writing the pilot that he's writing, meets Vince Vaughn and can get me the hook-up. Obviously, VV and I are meant to be together, but no need to wait on destiny, right?

Well, Chrissy will be calling me CP if I go on any longer, and it's late. It's so late that I'm obliged to say Happy Mother's Day because it is in fact Mother's Day in MO. So happy, happy! I think I'll wait 'til later to call Mom, though . . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home