Pride and Pressure

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single person in possession of a sound mind must be in search of this site. Enjoy your stay here, gentle reader. (And do please be gentle, reader, because if you break it, you buy it.)

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Soaring to new lows

I've always kind of felt that I'm way in touch with my inner audience. Big scores in movies get me a gaspy and tensed up because something fabulous is about to happen. I'm not only willing to suspend disbelief through a movie, it's like I've been sitting around all my life to believe in what's going on in this particular movie that I'm watching.

I've kind of secretly felt like this makes me a very interesting person to watch watching a movie. Ali's the same way. Many people will recall the "Simba, it's not your fault!!!" incident when we went to see The Lion King. Others will remember the time that Ali and I went to see Big Fish together. We were mocked for our sobbing and sopping wet faces. ("I'd offer you a tissue, but I'm fresh out.")

The ultimate end of this is that I can be very particular about the reality of books and movies after I'm finished with them. I can remember hearing, "It's just TV!" in my house more often than just about anything that was said. With the possible exception of "Bite me!" I got that way with the book Company most recently. 'Course that's part of the surprise so I can't tell you yet.

My point here is that I just finished watching Elf ($4.99 at my friendly neighborhood Goodwill) and I cried. It's not even freaking Christmas. And I cried a lot. Not just teary-eyed. I was crying.

We've officially soared to new lows.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home