Pride and Pressure

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single person in possession of a sound mind must be in search of this site. Enjoy your stay here, gentle reader. (And do please be gentle, reader, because if you break it, you buy it.)

Saturday, July 30, 2005

WTF???

I feel honor-bound, given the name of this site, to comment on the upcoming remake of Pride and Prejudice set to come out (in the US) on November 18. My comment is: I don't think so.

They've made even Keira Knightley look funny with a strange brownish color of hair. She's gorgeous, and they made her look funny. The hair color wasn't necessary since Jane Austen almost never described her main character's appearance. Keira could have stayed blonde. Really guys, she could have.

My other major problem is the entire movie seems to have been cast by someone who was armed only with a vague concept of the age and sex of all the characters. Donald Sutherland as Mr. Bennet? I don't think so. I like Donald Sutherland. You can all immediately go out and rent Big Shot's Funeral, but Mr. Bennet he is not.

I'll probably see it, but I can't bring myself to stop thinking, why fix something that was never broken? Who could top the 1995 mini-series? Hell, this doesn't look like it will top the 1940s version (which screenplay was, oddly enough, written by Aldous Huxley).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home